Sunday 24 January 2010

That's so *gay*...

I'm all in favour of free speech but (there's always a "but", isn't there?) I object to public service broadcasters who think it's perfectly ok to use the word "gay" as a term of abuse.


The BBC recently decided that those people who complained (about radio presenters who thought sneering "that's so gay" was amusing) were just tossers whose stupid opinions should be ignored.

Presumably they'd be equally happy for their presenters to use "woman" or "bitch" or "black" as a term of abuse...? Oh, no, wait a minute -- those terms are sacrosanct.


Well, now's your chance to tell the BBC that they're morons. Here's a public consultation questionnaire that anyone is welcome to complete.

I made it clear how much I objected to that usage of "gay" (while having no problem if it was used contextually in drama, for example).


You may wish to say the opposite -- you see, I told you I had no problem with free speech...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

More photos of the first guy, please! He i beautiful.

LeDuc said...

I don't have any, and nor do I know who he is. More's the pity.