Monday 8 March 2010

Local colour

Sunday was another glorious day in London, full of crisp, intense, winter sunshine. So I treated myself to a couple of hours wandering around with my camera. You get to share.


This is Meard Street, a delightful Georgian terrace in the heart of Soho. It's an exquisite survivor (click to enlarge).

Without, I hope, puncturing the picture postcard image, a sign on one of the doors does rather give the game away about the main economic activity in these here parts:


I'm thinking of getting one of those for my own front door. Though, what with the Great Depression and all, maybe I'll need to suss out this potential new career for myself?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sebastian Horsleys home.

Tenore said...

I thought about pursuing the oldest profession, but as they say, you can't sell what you can't give away...

Anonymous said...

I'm going to get one of those door signs too with and underlined heading 'How very dare you!'

qwerty (Rotterdam) said...

Beautiful pictures. You caught the light exactly at the right moment.

Anonymous said...

I did an audio walk around here, fantastic place to walk round. Just wanted to say that a lady and a gentleman came out of this door... and across the street they kissed - she had her hand down his trousers at the same time (his coat didn't quite hide what was going on).

There were 3 or 4 people who also witnessed this.

So not sure if prostitutes live there, but she certainly wasn't shy!! So funny seeing that happen in broad daylight.

;-)