Friday 7 May 2010

Failure

There are some things I find it impossible to photograph. People, for instance. Social gatherings like parties or dinners. And, for some inexplicable reason, the Thames Barrier:


This structure is vast and overwhelming but has a simple enough purpose, and I normally like taking pictures of big engineering-y things. But there's something about this structure that I find impossible.


No matter what I've tried, so far I've utterly failed to capture the sheer scale of it.


On the north side there's now a quirky garden/park feature as you approach the barrier from Pontoon Dock, the local DLR station; it's all sculpted buxus (that's box hedging, to you), made to look like giant stylised waves.


But let's leave the smell of failure behind and, instead, admire the view of Docklands from the end of the station platform:


I love that threatening sky, and that the DLR trains look so teeny-tiny.

I might have another go at the Thames Barrier this weekend.

No comments: