Wednesday 5 May 2010

Which way do you swing?

You're probably bored sick of these photoshoots, but I am besotted with them -- and this one is among the best yet.


This lovely-looking man -- really, very beautiful-looking -- clearly has had some problems with self-harming.


As I was reading his story (which also involved sleeping on the streets and heroin addiction), I felt almost overwhelmed with compassion.


My first reaction in the circumstances was that it seemed inappropriate to continue lusting after his body.


But then I decided that was absurd: it's as if I was denying the right of people with mental health issues to be sexual beings, to be fully human (with all that means in our world of being objectified and lusted-after and desired).


I'm still conflicted. But I thought you might like to make up your own minds.

4 comments:

Jim in SC said...

As soon as I viewed the first image, "self-mutilation" popped into my mind. Too bad, he is a handsome young man with a prodigious winkie. Maybe all he needs is a good man...

Like you, I love these mini series. Especially, since they tend show the entire body from head to toe.

Anonymous said...

I am still a fan of this type of photo series. This was my favorite so far. Please keep them coming!

Unknown said...

I love these series! Do keep them up! Could you share the source? I didn't realize there were descriptions that accompanied the photos.

LeDuc said...

Stephanie: Of course -- though I'm such a thief when you go to his photostream it'll be like being on a much better version of Reciprocating Motion. Try this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulmorristim/