Saturday 29 May 2010

Part 1 of an epic myth

Prince of Persia is one of the silliest films I've seen in a long time: all over-the-top CGI, rampantly racist characterisations, and ludicrously fantastical plot. I loved it.


It helps that it stars the lovely Jake Gyllenhaal, of course, and the latest it girl, Gemma Arterton -- both sporting impeccable English accents (Russell Crowe take note).


Much more importantly, Jake's gone all buffed and beefy, all manly chest hair and big, stiff pecs. Yeah...


While some of my friends don't approve of this new manly Jake-look, I say "great": that means there's less competition for me to get him into my arms.


Um... Anyway, the film could only have been improved by Jake spending the entire running time completely naked.


Interestingly, lots of the actors seemed keen to show us they had hairy chests, which is a fascinating shift away from the girly-boy look and one I wholeheartedly welcome.


That was Richard Coyle on the right, whose exuberant chest hair was not as lushly magnificent as Jake's (of course), but was still rather jolly. Reece Ritchie on the left had no chest hair but made up for it with a bushy beard (not something I particularly go for, but on Reece...).


In fact, the only other thing that would have improved the film (other than the Jake nudity thing) would have been a slightly bigger role for Reece Ritchie. Er, possibly with him also being completely naked. And engaged in some man-on-man action with Jake, perhaps.

Uh... back to Jake:


Reece was not quite as lovely as Jake, but then: who is?

5 comments:

goldeneyeuk said...

I'm looking forward to seeing Prince of Persia next week. I will not however be going to see Robin Hood, with Russell Crowe and his terrible accent, Mark Kermode on Five Live ripped into his accent recently.
Something about a cross between Irish, Liverpool, Scottish and Geordie.

Anonymous said...

Ahem, it's actually spelled "Reese", not "Reece", but enough about her... Lemme tell you, I LOVED this film. I honestly went to watch it with very low expectations but thinking it was going to be the most lame-ass film I've seen since "When In Rome", but I HAD to watch it because MY husband stars as the title character. However, it turned out to be quite an amazing film. I will admit that the intro (you know, the whole "rags to riches" story) was a total snooze-fest, but the following hour and a half was pretty great.

LeDuc said...

goldeneyeuk: You mean you value Mark Kermode's film criticism above mine? I'm not sure I should let you continue reading this blog.

Anonymous: Reese is indeed lovely but I wouldn't wanna marry her. Now Reece... strangely, even though he had a big bushy beard in the film, I was very attracted. The film is stuffed full of actors with hairy chests -- a very nice change from the usual plucked chicken look. Oh, and by the way: he's my husband. Sorry.

goldeneyeuk said...

LeDuc,

I value both criticism equally, Personally i can stand Crowe, Jake however Grrrrrrr.

albeo said...

precisely. who is? NO ONE!