Tuesday 13 April 2010

Good citizens

Out of idle curiosity I spent a few minutes looking at the process for getting UK residency. There is a laughable new bureaucratic test which is, allegedly, designed to test your knowledge and understanding of the UK: it consists of 24 questions, and you have to pass at least 18.


You can take a sample test here.

I did: it took me less than 3 minutes (for some reason you're allowed 45) and it was one of the most mind-numbingly dumb things I've ever experienced.


While clearly I scored so well overall that I probably qualify for several of the new A/S levels, apparently, knowing (as I did) that around 3% of 2001 census respondents said they were Muslim is insufficient -- to qualify as a decent British resident you have to know it was 2.7% rather than (as I put) 3.4%. I have no idea why being a percentage point or so out on this decade-old demographic factoid would disqualify you as a decent British resident, but there you are:


Another question: apparently, you have to know exactly how many months after you've been drawing dole money that, in order to continue to suck at the public teet, you have to go on to some crack-pot scheme called New Deal (which sounds like a game of playing cards but is, apparently, meant to historically resonate with Roosevelt and all that). I guessed 6 months but, apparently, you can't be a decent British resident unless you know the answer is 18 months.


Let's try another: there is, apparently, a dialect known as Ulster Scots, which is spoken by some people in Northern Ireland. I like to think I'm a reasonably well-informed bloke but, apparently, I am not qualified to be a decent British resident because I didn't know this piece of linguistic trivia.


Conversely, there was nothing in the quiz about, say, where human rights come from in Britain: Magna Carta and the Bill of Rights and the Civil War and the Glorious Revolution and the Reform Acts and the abolition of slavery and the right of an Englishman (sic) to enjoy his (sic) castle... none of that is, apparently, necessary to be a good British resident.


Nor is it necessary to know anything about the culture of Britain -- by which I mean, say, anything about poetry or literature or music or visual arts or theatre or cinema or television. Constable, Hitchcock, Dickens, Turner, Shakespeare, Purcell, Gilbert & Sullivan, Powell & Pressburger, The Beatles... no, who gives a toss about any of that?


What sort of fucked-up, bureaucratic, benefits-sponging, illiterate Hell-hole have we created if you need to know the answers to 18 out of 24 of these questions? And you have 45 minutes to do it in.


Interestingly, you are not permitted to download a free pdf of the essential handbook that gives you the answers to all the dumb questions posed by this ludicrous process. No, you have to buy it from The Stationery Office. For £10. On top of the £34 you have to pay to take the test. And the Christ knows how many hundreds of pounds you have to pay to apply for a visa (you can actually download a pdf -- but they charge you: £10!!).


This is beginning to look like another revenue-gouging, hidden tax system to swell government coffers and provide employment for brain-dead bureaucrats at testing centres the length and breadth of the country.


Fuckers. I hate them all.

9 comments:

sticks said...

I was talking to an Ozzie friend about this citizenship process today. He was saying he wanted to speed it up by doing the application face-to-face in an interview. The postal process costs £850 (I think - certainly of the order of £800+); the interview is another £250ish. But it's almost impossible to get through on the phone to make an appointment for an interview. So he's using that extra money towards going back to Oz on holiday.

As to the questions, I can't agree with you more.

albeo said...

I scored 11 out of 24. Guess I will never be a citizen of Her Majesty...

LeDuc said...

albeo: you've reinforced your point with your comment -- Her Maj doesn't have citizens, she has "subjects". Yeah, that feels about right.

Todd said...

I failed, but I'm not British so it works out. The Australian citizenship test is ridiculously easy by comparison (try doing a practice test somewhere online, I'm fairly sure you'll pass). Most the Aussie questions are along the lines of 'We are free and your country isn't. Please like us.'

Also, one question in your British test is sort of ambiguous:
"Ulster Scots is a dialect which is spoken in Northern Ireland (true/false)". It is a dialect, but not of English, it's a dialect of Scots. Their answer is 'true'. Mmm... hazy.

Tom said...

Oh don't get me started on this. Last week it was the whole visa fiasco. This week I had the pleasure of dealing both with the US Internal Revenue Service AND HM Revenue and Customs over some royalties for a book that is not even published, much less providing me with any kind of income. I had to fill out one form in order to apply to receive another form. Fuckers, the lot of them. Won't be any of this nonsense when I'm in charge.

LeDuc said...

One of my oldest friends (er... I mean someone I have been friends with forever, not that he's ancient) has lived in the UK since he was 11. Public school here, redbrick university here, trained as an NHS doctor, is now a consultant, has a [British citizen] daughter by a British citizen both of whom he lives near and supports, owns his own house, pays gazillions in taxes...

For sentimental reasons he keeps his original non-EU passport (his parents still live outside the EU) but the tightening of the immigration rules means he now has to apply for residency. Again, more than EIGHT HUNDRED POUNDS. Just to apply.

And of course he has to take the ludicrous test asking him questions about the precise percentage of self-identifying Muslims in a census taken 9 years ago, and who is entitled to free NHS prescriptions...

It is an utter outrage.

John in Australia said...

I started doing this. I thought I'd be Ok, after all I may not have lived in England for forty two years but I am still a British citizen.

I gave up at question 14. It was like having the air sucked out of my lungs by some life-hating bureaucratic creature of death.

Goodness, truth and beauty? Not in my land anymore. What WAS my land. No more.

nitrox11 said...

Diod the test, scored 18/24, mainly cos I'd read your piece and recalled some of the answers. My question is, if the Census results are secret for 100 years, as their test response revealed, how can they include the statistic about how many people identify as Muslim? As you point out, that data must have come from the 2001 Census, so they are revealing information 91 years early.....and breaking their own rules.

Tmesis said...

Pretty stupid, but pretty easy. I'm Californian, but got 15 on my sample test. Not that the US is any better.

Here is one of the questions from the U.S Citizen's test:

6. What are the first 10 amendments to the Constitution called?

The Preamble
The Bill of Rights
First Ten Amendments
Lewis “Scooter” Libby

Thanks for your blog, & fugecksl to you too.