Sunday 29 August 2010

Getting the blues

You'll have realised that I'm an obsessive movie geek, but also that I'm a bit of a late adopter of new technology. Hence I am still in DVD world, not in Blu-ray world.


But news is out that Peter Greenaway's A Zed and Two Noughts is being issued on Blu-ray, and that's a screen grab of it, above.

Compare it with the same screen grab from the best quality DVD currently on the market:


The Blu-ray is pretty significantly better, I think we can all agree. [The rest of the pictures in this post are screen grabs from the Blu-ray.]


Greenaway is, obviously, a pretty painterly director, and his films are beautifully shot. It looks to me like Blu-ray might be the perfect medium for experiencing his art.


But Blu-ray involves a new tv, as well as a Blu-ray player and, in all probability, a new sound system, too. We're talking £1-1.5k.


Is it time to take the plunge?

Those screen grabs are tempting me.

No comments: