Monday 9 August 2010

Open-minded

I was banging on the other day about the new "S" stock being introduced onto all the sub-surface lines of the London Underground (the Metropolitan, District, Hammersmith & City and Circle lines).


I mentioned how it had extra-wide gangways, to create a single internal space not divided into the traditional carriages, but the photo I had wasn't very good. Here's a better one I've just stumbled across:


I'm in two minds about this approach: apparently most of us passengers prefer it, being able to see the whole length of the train, to find empty seats more easily and to move away from unpleasant people. I think it makes the space feel a bit clinical and soulless.


That last shot shows the new stock alongside the old "A" stock it's replacing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder why they've opted for plug doors? Surely this sort of stock doesn't achieve speeds which call for such problem-prone complexity? Have just returned from DC where the metro trains use simple 750v third-rail side-collection technology and sliding doors and are comfortable enough even though the stations are rather soulless and dark. They still have drivers but there was no sign of any signals: doubtless they're old hat these days...

LeDuc said...

The stock has sliding doors, not plug.