Friday 6 August 2010

Only steers and queers...

Unlike many of my fellow Gays, I'm a bit of a fan of Brokeback Mountain.


Which is why, when I was reminded of it last night while rewatching (for the first time in maybe twenty years) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, I felt all warm and glowy.


I mean, the visual similarities are striking (I can't believe Ang Lee didn't use BC&TSK as a reference).


Albeit the, er, action set-pieces are a little different in the two films.


I prefer Jake and Heath in action, rather than Paul and Robert, even though I suspect the latter couple were much more in love with each other than the former.


In truth, I guess both movies ended tragically. But with BC&TSK we had a smile on our faces, whereas with BM we were blubbing our eyes out.


And at least I now have an excuse to post a photo of the late, lamented Heath's magnificent willy.

4 comments:

Niall said...

RIP Heath Ledger.
A beatiful man who left this world behind much too soon.
He is much missed. :-(
It's shame we didn't get to see more of his naked loveliness while he was with us.

LeDuc said...

And it's always especially thrilling to encounter a naked boy with an unshaved bushy exuberance. Very nice!

sticks said...

I love(d) BBM and had the joy of seeing it in SF with a gay friend just after it (and I) came out. It was my first experience of gay cinema with a mostly gay audience. Wonderful, happy memories!

As to Heath Ledger, yes, a sad loss. He was. I think, happy to play a gay role, and recognise his attraction for a gay audience, unlike his fellow-countryman Russell Crowe.

LeDuc said...

I'm not so sure -- Heath got into lots of trouble by doing interviews in which he explained that kissing Jake Gyllenhaal was the hardest thing he'd ever had to do as an actor. Didn't endear him to many of us, I have to say.

Jake saw the flak and, wisely, was much more circumspect.

Whereas Crowe has also played gay, in 1994's The Sum of Us (do a google image search if you don't know the film -- well worth it).

Still, I'm glad you have extra lovely associations with Brokeback: I just like it as a great cinematic tragedy (a bit like Brief Encounter, really).