Friday 27 August 2010

Wee frees

I was struck by a particular phenomenon the other day while browsing through flickr and encountering this delightful-looking chap engaging free-spiritedly in his ablutions:


It was the appearance of signs such as this positioned above toilets:


At first I assumed it was some weird, one-off occurrence, but then I saw more -- and of different designs, too:


There is clearly a growing global conspiracy to stop men from peeing while standing up and, instead, to make us pee like a girl...


Here's yet another design of sign -- I love the artful variations (how much should I show of the bollocks? How far into the U-bend should the pee be shown flowing?):


This may be related to another annoyance commonly expressed by women, about men peeing on the seat:


I confess that men do sometimes do this, but that makes it all the more strange that women also insist that men put the seat down on the toilet. Surely if men always left the seat up, women would be assured that we had not peed on it?

Then again, I can understand women's apprehension given the exuberant self-absorption with which some men approach this simple task:


But, as this next sign shows, toilet etiquette appears to be becoming ever more rule-bound:


Personally I long for the days when men can pee free, when we can take pleasure in waggling our willies around in the breeze and comparing the strength of our flow with our other manly chums:


God, I must have been so bored when browsing through flickr.

Sorry about all that.


PS: Ha! Here's another one I found this morning -- from Germany:


I think this is very clear evidence indeed of the existence of a vast conspiracy...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

At home, I always pee seated and I don't feel like a girl at all. That's the way I've been taught as a kid. When I go to public toilets, I stand because most of the time the place is disgusting as men seem incapable to target the hole with their "hose".

Jim in SC said...

Another excellent essay! Here in the states, signs like these would go more toward causing the unwanted behavior rather than preventing it. They are quite funny, though -- especially that last one...

LeDuc said...

I know what you mean.

It's like those signs in so many public bathrooms which baldly state "Now wash your hands".

I always think -- "Damn their impertinence. I've a good mind not to, now."

More seriously, the design bible for toilets is Alexander Kira's The Bathroom, published almost forty years ago now, and he argued that men don't like peeing while sitting down because their cocks then come into contact with the "dirty" porcelain at the front of the bowl. He had graphs and photographs and everything to prove it. What a great man. Much neglected.

Christ, how do I know this useless stuff?

LeDuc said...

"Public bathrooms"?

WTF??

I'm not an American, and there's no damn bath in the room. It's a TOILET.





Although I would also be prepared to accept LAVATORY.

Apologies all round.

Niall said...

That last sign (especially the bottom two icons) made me laugh out loud! I had no idea that men fishing in the toiled bowl, and peeing doggy style were so rife in Guatemala!!!
Oh and you're right about the willy-to-toilet rim contact thing when sitting down. Athough its easily avoided by sitting further back on the seat then one normally would. Its not hard to see why urinals were invented though.

Ipmilat said...

I have noticed several times that Chinese boys standing at a urinal will not only open their flies but undo their belts and top buttons as well, to display the entire package to one another.

Anonymous said...

Men need to stand up for themselves in more than one sense. This is a consipracy by women to oppress us (and because they love moaning too). I make a point of ALWAYS leaving the toilet seat up. If women moan then I leave it down only when I urinate so it goes all over the seat then I put it back up again afterwards. Honestly, if you let them get their own way on this they'll just move on to being unreasonable about something else. Try my tactic - you'll eventually wear them down I guarantee. Common guys - MAKE A STAND!