Monday 9 August 2010

Jolly japes

A kind reader sent me a wodge of delightful images, in amongst which was this -- a London & North Eastern Railway poster I had never seen before. I'm guessing it's 1920s.


They're stretching it a bit by calling Lowestoft a resort (I would have gone with Hunstanton), but I love the style. I had assumed at first glance that all six characters were women, and detected a faint lesbian theme, but then I noticed the moustache of the figure in black at right. It seems a bit too luxuriant for a lesbian 'tache.

Incidentally, they're not wrong about the dryness: while the rest of England is clearly temperate, parts of East Anglia have a climate which is classified as semi-arid.

4 comments:

De Goose said...

The three in black suits are male - they are barefoot and have white belts. I photo of my grandfather c1930 shows him in just such an outfit. The ladies have bathing slippers.

Very nice indeed! If it's LNER it must presumably be early.

LeDuc said...

Was your grandfather a hotty?

Should I be posting his photo on here...?

De Goose said...

Grandfather a hotty?

Not to my eyes, he wasn't; a bit ordinary, really (like me). And I don't think a faded b+w box Brownie snap is quite the thing for this blog, unless he was somehow exceptional.

LeDuc said...

Ah, well...

Just checking.