Monday 28 June 2010

A question of sport

I just don't get it. My newspaper has a separate sports section, presumably inserted (wisely, in my view) so that the important parts of the newspaper are not contaminated with all this ludicrous nonsense, but today the front pages were all about some soccer match or other.


Apparently, the England football team was so completely shite that it was knocked out of the tournament.

I still don't understand why that qualifies as real "news". Presumably next in this topsy-turvy world they'll be publishing in the sports section in-depth reports on the diplomatic crisis over the allocation of waters from the River Nile?

Be that as it may, I was dimly aware of the existence of this team:


In fact, I was commiserating with an Italian waiter of my acquaintance only the other day about how bitterly unfair it was, that a team so stylish should have been knocked-out of the tournament.


Admittedly he thought I was referring to their style of play rather than their underpants, but we must each try to confine our comments to those fields in which we are expert.

As it happens, I like this iteration of the advert better:


That chap 2nd from left is attracting my attention. As, indeed, is the chap in the middle. But as you know by now, I have very Catholic tastes and a warm and very accommodating bosom.

6 comments:

Tom said...

http://sarkastic.livejournal.com/446372.html

Anonymous said...

Time for some railway posts perhaps, Leduc? Not that the chaps are anything but welcome... I have to admit I had the TV on for that match on Sunday and was vaguely aware of what was happening, but I can't imagine how all those armchair pundits can stay glued to such tripe week after week and beat up the missus if they don't like the result

Stewart Jackel said...

So soccer does have some inherent interest. Well, I never!
But why the airbrush censorship of the lumps (in the Cakcio ad)? It's a crime against erotic aesthetics I tell you.

LeDuc said...

I'd assumed they'd been stuffed with some cup-like artefact, to give the impression of a massive package. Like they did to Beckham's famous photoshoot (I think).

Stewart Jackel said...

Humbug!
That is NOT an approriate use for a pair of socks.

Anonymous said...

I've heard stylists sometimes use soft white bread for just that purpose....