Saturday 24 July 2010

Away with the birds

This is the lovely Jacob Auzanneau. He starred in the second of today's double bill of movies -- and there'll be more of him in a bit.


But the day started with the man everyone wanted to be their dad -- Gregory Peck, in a lustruous nitrate Technicolor print of 1946's The Yearling at the National Film Theatre (which is now, apparently, the only cinema in the entire country which is licenced to show films on nitrate prints).


It's ironic that I can only find black and white images from The Yearling, because the colour is extraordinary: you want to lick the screen to taste it.

I saw it ages ago, when I was a kid, and I remember thinking at the time that it was a bit sentimental. But it packs a bit of a punch and, seeing it through adult eyes, I can see what great performances are given by both Peck and co-star Jane Wyman (as the uptight bitch of a mother -- but, as becomes clear, she's that way for entirely understandable reasons).


The story is about a dirt-poor family living on the margins, in the depths of Florida's marshy forests. There's one son, an 11 year old, and he's lonely -- desperate to be allowed a pet.


He ends up with a small faun, but that's the start of a chain of events that reminded me of the moral from a film I was banging on about last year, where a boy who breeds songbirds takes in an injured fox which he tames: never let a fox in the hen-house.


The Yearling isn't a great film, despite both Peck's extraordinarily tender relationship with both his wife and his son, and Wyman's delightful performance as the mother. In fact, all too often it reminded me of the childhood joke in my family at the number of times Anne of Green Gables would whine the phrase "Oh, Marilla" -- except in this film it was "oh, Pa...". Well worth seeing, though, for the quality of that print.

Ivul was quite a different kettle of fish.


Set in the very region from whence I've just returned from my hols, it's based in the decaying grandeur of a rather vast French mansion and wooded estate in the Pyrenees.


The father is from a very wealthy Russian family that fled the revolution. He lives with his manservant, his wife and their four delightfully wild children.


There's an absolutely exquisite sexual tension between the eldest daughter and son: something both of them clearly feel and play with, without quite knowing where to take it or how to set boundaries.


After being discovered in the middle of an exploration, the father throws his son out and forbids him ever to set foot on his land again. The boy takes his father at his word, and moves into the trees where he lives for season after season.


Director Andrew Kotting is a major film-making talent (another visual artist who has found his way into movies). His film is magical and sordid in equal measures, perfectly capturing the ecstasy and the corporeality of the human condition. It plays with time, moving us backwards (sometimes literally) and forwards, speeding things up and slowing them down -- but none of it feels tricksy or forced, and these characters root us in the story.

At one point it feels to me like we're being made to think of fairy tales, of the enchanted forest where the thick vines block the path, and the mansion and its inhabitants are sealed-off from the world. But the film always felt utterly real.


My friend D., who usually prefers his films to be bog-standard and linear, also liked it a lot.

I am giving Ivul two major thumbs up, even for those of us who are less enthusiastic than others about sibling incest plots.

4 comments:

FKJ said...

was so hoping that you had already posted about it. HOT!!

am on the absolute lookout for this little cracker.

Anonymous said...

I have nothing to say about this thread. I just came from Normal For Norfolk, where I discovered after leaving a comment that I was unable to leave a comment there. You have to be a team member there to leave comments. Very frustrating since my team membership there has been pending for the past 18 months.

---------------------------

Here is my comment from there:

And once you move shop no one bothers to comment anymore. Glad to see the blog is still here even if no one else is.

Should we add all your old blogs to our blog roll? They are still as fresh as the days that you and everyone else abandoned them. At least half a dozen visitors to NPG would appreciate these long forgotten blogs of yours.

When will I ever find the time to peruse them myself?

I'm glad the egg hunt is over. I know where you currently are, at least for the time being.

You have been an excellent blogger for a long time. A busy blogger, and a consistent one. I admire that.

Now where to begin lifting pictures from? There are so many places to start. It's making my penis hurt.

Alfredo

---------------------------

That was when I was Alfredo. Now I am Boris. And I still don't have anything to say about this thread, so I will be moseying on.

Lucien

LeDuc said...

What nice things to say -- thanks.

Yes, I turn off the ability to leave comments on the old blogs. The fact is they are no longer "living" places, just dusty old rooms in a half-forgotten mansion. They aren't places to go for a lively interaction with real people. You need to be on the current blog for that.

But several people asked me to leave them as fossils, so they wouldn't need to download the photos but could return there for a nostalgic browse whenever they fancied it. So, being the responsive sort of geezer I am, I complied.

Do you think I should delete them, to avoid confusion or disappointment? I'm not particularly sentimental so it wouldn't bother me.

Anonymous said...

May i kindly ask you to prolong the life of the old blogs? I just recently discovered Reciprocating Motion and am now moving backward on Normal for Norfolk. I love the combination of winkies, trains, architecture and rubbish photographs. I am sometimes tempted to comment on the old stuff, but it is clear to me that the old blogs are fossils, and am therefore neither confused nor disapppointed.

BTW congrats LeDuc. I just ordered my copy of the book 'The M&GNJR and its locomotives', as i can relate to the topic now. Maybe you should ask for a share. (Remark to your readers: i'm not able to give an opinion on this book, i ordered it out of curiosity)