Monday 19 July 2010

Carbon footprints

That's rather splendid -- the latest design of Boeing aircraft flew into Britain the other day.


There are two things that particularly interest me about this (the Boeing 787 "Dreamliner", in case you were wondering): first, that its nose looks remarkably like that of a De Havilland Comet, the world's first civil jet airliner.


Which is, of course, a huge plus point as far as I'm concerned.


And secondly a statistic that Boeing released at the same time as their baby's arrival: that they expect the total number of passenger jets to be flying in ten or so years to be approximately double the number flying today.


I'm glad to see my campaign to reduce my own carbon footprint by flying much less often has had such a profound impact on the market.


Well, if no-one else is going to bother...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on the part about the nose. The Comet was a very nice airliner. And about the statistics, well all I can say is, "it's no good news", because it shows that we are still carrying straight ahead without paying much attention to the consequences of our behaviors. I still believe that flying is a fantastic thing, but doing it in the "low-cost tin box" way is completely crazy and irresponsible.