Saturday 3 July 2010

Let's dance

And finally this morning, while we're on the subject of dance...


I think this is an utterly delightful series of portraits of professional dancers.


There's something about the pairing of images which is so touching.


The physicality of the dancers shines through in each type of image.


But some of them are clearly much more expressive when dancing, much more contained or cautious when having their portraits taken.


But there's an exuberance to most of them, too.


These images remind me of all those clothed/naked portraits I've featured over the years -- which also seem to convey multiple aspects of the sitter's personality in a way a single picture does not.


Very nice indeed, I think we can all agree.

7 comments:

Stewart Jackel said...

What wonderful images - stylish and faintly erotic. Beautiful bodies. Thank you.

bryarpatch said...

Brilliant and beautiful. Thanks for posting. What is the name of the dance company?

Jim in SC said...

What a wonderful series, LeDuc! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Peter said...

I love these, particularly that first one. It's nice to have you back, Leduc.

LeDuc said...

Glad these seemed to go down well.

Bryarpatch: the photographer is Paris-based (ex-dancer) Yang Wang, and as far as I can tell this was a personal project (no company has been mentioned in any write-up I've seen). The photos are being exhibited in the Autumn.

Anonymous said...

Here I go sticking my big nose into an arena I know very little about - art. I know I like something when I see it, be it art or nature or what-have-you, but art itself often leaves me wondering. Dance is especially true of that. I guess expressionism in general.

With that said, which was completely unnecessary at all really, I just want to say that these images remind me of a video I acquired last year.

I know, Leduc, first the pink flamingos video and now possibly an expressionist dance video that resembles these images?

We at NPG do try to dazzle, one person, one sense at a time. If you are patient with me, I will try to find the video and get it uploaded soon. It is of 4 or 5 guys each separately expressing themselves in nude dance and are each interviewed beforehand or after. A nice production. It may be in b&w, but I can't recall for certain at the moment.

And it is wholly possible that I am completely mistaken about the nature of the video after not viewing it for so long. I have stuck my foot in mouth more than once before, and not always for pleasure.

All the best, Mike

LeDuc said...

Can't wait to see it!

LeDuc
xx