Saturday 28 November 2009

Funny bone

I finally got around to watching Judd Apatow's latest (although he may have produced a few others by now, so behind am I)... Judd Apatow's latest, Funny People.


The reason for my obvious reluctance (despite my adoration of Apatow's brilliance) is the presence of the kiss of death that is Adam Sandler, a man who could suck the comedy out of anything.


Fortunately in this film that's exactly what his character is supposed to do, so it all works out rather well (Seth Rogan, though, has lost weight. I mean, FFS, the whole point of Seth is that he's a big fat bloke who makes up for his weight by being funny. The film even jokes about it: normal sized men are just not funny. But, as they say, many a true word said in jest).


But this is an altogether odd movie: thoughtful and subversive -- mean-minded, even -- rather than being all cock jokes and gentle bromance.

My friend D. liked it much more than me (in fact, he loved it). Although in truth the biggest criticism I can make of it is that, unlike every other Apatow film, there was no appearance by the Sex God that is Paul Rudd.


Come to think of it, that's a major flaw, not even made up for by the endearing presence of the lovely Jason Schwartzman.

D-minus.

PS: I was irresistably reminded while watching this of Paul Thomas Anderson's post-Magnolia movie, Punch-Drunk Love, the only other Adam Sandler appearance that I'm prepared to concede was any good. And, in fairness to him, he was, in fact, masterful in that. See -- I always give credit where it's due!

1 comment:

Brad said...

The only funny part in the movie was Leslie Mann's bad imitation of an Australian accent.