Thursday 12 November 2009

Sing it out loud

Reciprocating Motion is following in the grand tradition of all my other blogs by being last with the news.


Somehow, until now, 2004's hit film The Choir has eluded me. I remember wanting to see it, but then it had come and gone, and my attention had been diverted by some new and shiny film, and you know how it is...


Which is insane, because The Choir is a complete and utter joy.


A tiny budget French film set in a 1949 institution for badly behaved or orphaned boys, it sounds completely unpromising.


It has no major stars (or, at least, none that I recognised), just ordinary, potato-headed French men (I mean no disrespect by that phrase: most of us have heads like potatoes).


And yet it held me enraptured, enchanted, by the simple yet overwhelmingly powerful weapons at its disposal. No schmaltz, no crass sentimentality, but no wallowing in the misery either: utter delight.

4 comments:

Spikeau said...

... and beautiful, beautiful music. Superb, tres superb choral work.

A similar movie, in some respects, to The Class or, if your French is better than mine circa 1958, Entre les murs.

Anonymous said...

Il y a beaucoup de francais sur ton blog maintenant.

Spikeau said...

Yeah! Too right mate. She's a beaudy.

Anonymous said...

well, Knowing your crave for knowledge my dear LEDUC, the potato-headed actor (lovely idea lol) is Gerard Junot (i wonder how no French reader said anything)he's a well renowned actor, director screenwriter and producer.
Keep up the good work dear.