Saturday 7 November 2009

Jesus wept

Is it just me, or is there an obvious homage going on here to a Pietà?




It's difficult to see why that would be an obviously erotic subject. Still, let's look at the rest of the sequence to see if there are any other hidden Catholic references:


Yes, there is! Did you see what the photographer has done there? He's used the stone-effect backdrop to mimic the marble effect behind Michelangelo's Pietà in St Peter's! Ha! I knew I was on to something.


Yes, well, that was obviously just another variation on the Pietà theme. Let's look at some others:



Um... something about rendering unto Caesar...?



Ok, I am prepared to concede that deciphering the religious imagery of the remainder is trickier than I had anticipated. Er... more study required, I think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant.

red said...

great post! your creative eye rocks!!! :-)

spikeau said...

With the one critical difference that the women in the classical works aren't checking the gender of the recumbent male figure
(as in images 1 and 5). But ... the woman in the St Peter's sculpture is certinly giving the idea serious thought!