Thursday 25 February 2010

Cracking

Genius designer Walter Gropius, the founder of the hugely influential Bauhaus school, designed the TAC range of tableware for Rosenthal:


An iconic design, while I appreciate the immense presence of these objects, I find the tea-making accoutrements overly fussy and mannered. They're trying too hard.


The flatware, on the other hand, is almost invisible -- but when you look at it, it has the most exquisite shape. This is fine bone china -- light and thin, but immensely strong.


The reason I've posted these is to draw an end to my current obsession with kitchen supplies, and to satisfy the entrants in my competition (posed in the post below -- see comments for the full skinny).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the Gropius pieces designed for Rosenthal. Check out the Moon dinner set designed by Jasper Morrison for Rosenthal. Its my everyday tableware. Hugo Pott make great cutlery, very expensive to purchase in NZ. I've managed to put together pieces of the 2720 design which I use everyday.

Anonymous said...

I only hope the milk pours where it's intended to and not all over the table, as happened with those grim "would-be Scandinavian" jugs so favoured at motorway services and other public places before the horrid little plastic pots of UHT appeared on the scene