Sunday 7 February 2010

Russian fun

In my pervy searches of flickr (what a God-send that site is for voyeurs), I love it when I stumble across a new talent:


This Russian photographer is into very theatrical shots, many of which seem to celebrate the naked male form.


I've featured a few of his images on here before.


But it felt like it was time for a more comprehensive exhibition.


There's something about the domestic scenes that make this unquestionably eastern European.


But there's no disguising the Stalinist statuary:


When I used the word theatrical, I meant it literally, too:


He makes great use of both the cold hardness of the found world, and the softness of flesh and fabric and balloons.


Equally, it's only when you see a photo that rings memory bells...


...that you realise how effortless a great master like, say, Bruce Weber actually is:


(That was Weber's shot of the God-boy Eric Nies, in case you've been living on Mars for the last thousand years.)

But this new chap has flashes of genius, too -- in this last shot he has, for me, absolutely captured that overwhelming adolescent feeling of forbidden longing:


Nice...

No comments: