Sunday 21 February 2010

Sorted

It may surprise you to learn that LeDuc's night-time routine, when it doesn't involve passionate encounters and chandeliers, is almost unvarying in its OCD-related regularity. Central to it is a glass of water placed close at hand for night-time thirst-related incidents.


Imagine my horror one fateful night when, in a scene reminiscent of something from Silence of the Lambs, I went to drink some water only to find the corpse of a drowned moth floating inside it.


Having been a rather unworldy teenager, I first encountered the idea of a jug cover when, during my first "proper" job, I was admitted to the inner sanctum of the civic pomp that was Southampton City Council.


There in the great chamber, ready for a meeting of the great and the good...


...the tables had been laid out with water jugs each of which was covered by what looked like a small linen hankie, the corners of which were weighted with beads -- a less fancy version of this:


While this would have solved the moth-in-the-water nightmare, I couldn't imagine having something so unbearably twee in my life.


Now, it may also surprise you to learn that I am not an impulse shopper. When I go shopping I usually have a very clear idea in mind as to what I want; and that is what I get.

But, having banged on the other day about my exciting new glassware purchases, I am now willing to confess that I also engaged in a little impulse shopping, too.


This is the Alba Carafe and Tumbler (I got mine from the David Mellor cook-shop, but for slightly more cash you can get it from Amazon).

The tumbler forms the stopper in the mouth of the carafe, preventing the ingress of flying pests or pieces of ceiling. Your water is as pure when you go to drink it as when you first poured it into the carafe.


This piece of design is very simple, very pleasing in its weight, and is not in the slightest "designery". I love it. No more moth-related nightmares for me!

2 comments:

Tom said...

Why do you have giant moths in your bedroom?

LeDuc said...

What an impertinent question!

Actually, I have all sorts of interesting and amusing things in my bedroom.