Thursday 2 September 2010

Me me me

Sometimes as I'm trawling through flickr I stumble on shots that I really wish I had taken. The six images here are examples (all benefit from clicking to enlarge).


That was a re-engineered Class 37, now known as a Class 97, which is a test bed for the new European Rail Traffic Management System (a sort of in-cab hi-tec job which does away with conventional signalling and speed limit signage). They're used on the Cambrian Coast line, Shrewsbury-Aberystwyth/Pwllheli.


And that was the station roof at York. A graceful structure by Prosser and Peachey for the North Eastern Railway company, it demonstrated that company's determination to create a world class railway. I've never been able to capture the magnificence of that roof and, as war photographer Capa famously said, if your photos aren't good enough it means you're not close enough.


And that's what train travel should be about -- a picture window on the world gliding by. It's one of the main USPs of rail travel. I don't understand why so many companies and our dear, dear Department for Transport utterly fail to comprehend that, instead mis-aligning seats or shoving in ludicrous high-backed seating which blocks the views.


Let's finish with three views of Eurostar on various bits of the High Speed 1 route.


I have never taken a successful photo of this train. There's something about the combination of the subtle curves of its nose versus its sheer length which defeats me. In fact, I can only think of one photo I've taken of the nose which satisfies me (and that was more to do with the shadows than any great success with the train).


While that massive concrete viaduct can't really compete with the grace and elegance of most Victorian structures, it still has a purposefulness which is rather attractive.

Damn, I wish I had a fraction of the talent of some of these people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re the picture window:
Won't help much in today's highspeed trains. All you are able to see is the pattern of the noise barrier ('Laermschutzwand'). In earlier times (tm) you were able to see the stations passing by, see the goods sheds and the industries linked to the network and wondered about the twisted track layout. Gone today. Noise barrier in green, noise barrier in reddish brown and then for a change a noise barrier in grey ...

LeDuc said...

Fortunately many of Britain's railway lines are still grindingly slow -- yesterday I was on the West London Extension Line which, for mile after mile has a line speed limit of 25mph. Which was delightful as it wove under and over a variety of other mainlines.

Sometimes I think we put too much emphasis on speed.