Tuesday 21 September 2010

Stain

Among my many failings as a photographer is my complete inability to take decent pictures of stained glass. Exhibit 1 is this extraordinary window by the pre-Raphaelite Edward Burne-Jones in St Etheldreda's church at Hatfield:


Those luscious blues and greens simply disappear in my image.

And the image of this rather sexy muscular Christian from the same church looks a bit thin and watery:


I assume he's a St George although he doesn't look remotely Turkish, which is a bit odd. Still, I love the homoerotic way his robe is ripped open to reveal a really rather finely-sculpted torso. Very nice way to spend quiet contemplation time in the church.

3 comments:

chrisz said...

LeDuc, mon ami, this is a picture of the resurrected Christ himself. Note the wound in the chest from the spear, the pennant (looks like St George's flag) which is a Christian symbol of the resurrection, and the right hand - two fingers extended and two curled back into the palm - the traditional blesing of the resurrected Christ.
But he is hunky, isn't he?

LeDuc said...

Oops. Just revealed the true inadequacies of my aetheistic upbringing.

In my defence, it was the pennant wot threw me.

jimbob said...

On this, and your previous lament about not getting the full contrast range in your Pisa shots you could try a couple of approaches.

Try rediscovering the joy of 35mm photography as I recently have, and getting them processed straight to disc (£3 at Tescos). You'll discover how poor digital is and rediscover rich saturated colours, tones and fuller contrast range.

or

Take the plunge into Photoshop (or Gimp which is free!) which can do a lot to lift and correct, even transform shots.