Sunday 12 September 2010

What a mug

One of my (many) peculiarities is my hatred of earthenware cups and mugs -- I want crockery that touches my lips to be thin and light (these Cornishware mugs look fabulous but fail the lip test):


I've been looking for some new mugs for some time now -- my old ones (probably twenty years old, now) have gradually succumbed to the attrition of breakages and daily use, to the point where there are only two left. But it's extraordinarily hard to find bone china mugs with a simple cylindrical shape and minimal patterning.


So I was well pleased to discover these, and sporting a 20th century design icon, too.


That icon is repeated on a range of other products, including wallpaper and rugs.


Bragging rights (but no prizes) to the first person to correctly identify the original.


Anyway, I bought a pair of mugs, one in each colour, to test drive. You need to live with these things for a while before you can tell whether or not they're truly satisfactory.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so right about proper bone china - in my opinion earthenware, stoneware etc are just nasty to drink from. I like to see my mugs sparkling clean inside for which Steradent takes some beating, or just plain salt and a dishcloth. Just occasionally you'll find the real thing at the supermarkets... was that your source perhaps?

LeDuc said...

I am in love with my dishwasher -- if I could only have one consumer durable, it would be that. Crockery that sparkles like new every time. I love it.

Supermarket? No, actually. No bragging rights for you!

sticks said...

I'm fairly certain the design is based on the carpets in the Royal Festival Hall (or the furnishing fabrics/curtains). Can I brag?

I like the stripes and the - oh, hell, what's that post-war style called? - mugs, but, as you say, the thinner ceramics are so much more satisfying to drink from.

LeDuc said...

Yes indeed: full bragging rights to you.

The mugs feature the "net and ball" carpet pattern designed in 1951 by Peter Moro and Leslie Martin, architects of the Royal Festival Hall.

If you want to buy products with that pattern (including wallpaper and a rug), you can find them here:
https://shop.southbankcentre.co.uk/find/all/homeware